The 30 ‘Most Powerful’ Unions In America
Few things have been as important to the development of a strong Middle Class in America as the Labor Union.
In their heyday, Labor Unions were an essential piece of the social fabric that helped ensure Workers could have a strong voice in getting paid fair wages, securing important benefits and ensuring safe working conditions.
However, the days of Organized Labor wielding enormous influence are largely gone as Union Memberships continue to shrink in the face of an ever-shifting economy.
From 1983 to 2015, Union Rolls shrank by nearly three million Workers - even as more than 45 million more people joined the workforce, and the proportion of workers in a Union was cut in half over that same period.
So, what does the face of American Organized Labor look like today?
Unions still command the largest membership base, allowing them to influence public policy and pressure companies into making concessions.
GOBankingRates looked at the membership numbers from some 78 different Unions as available through the U.S. Department of Labor and identified 30 that still have at least 100,000 Members.
Some of them are among the most powerful Unions in the Nation and have led strikes that changed America.
Here they are, ranked from #1 to 30:
- National Education Association of the United States (NEA) - Total Membership: 3,002,516
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU) - Total Membership: 1,918,192
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT) - Total Membership: 1,677,775
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) - Total Membership: 1,389,454
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) - Total Membership: 1,327,379
- United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) - Total Membership: 1,248,117
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) - Total Membership: 672,551
- Communications Workers of America (CWA) - Total Membership: 661,604
- United Steelworkers (USW) - Total Membership: 581,810
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) - Total Membership: 573,365
For The Rest Of The Union Ranking, Go To: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/30-most-powerful-unions-america-090000629.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=fb